Ground Turkey Enchiladas – My Mistake Turned Genius
It was O’Bear’s seventh birthday and he ordered me to make ground turkey enchiladas. Hubby just rolled his eyes thinking ‘Mexican again’. The boys and I could eat it everyday!
I wanted to make them extra good so I was going to use a homemade sauce recipe I have used before and another secret which I think makes them yum yum and a little healthier…seasoned ground turkey.
Ground Turkey Enchiladas
1 lb Jennie-O Taco Seasoned Ground Turkey (we only have ONE store in town that has the exact package I love)
Shredded Cheese ~ Mexican Mix or Colby Jack or whatever you like
Sauce ~ which I adapted from AllRecipes.com
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water (or more…see below)
Lettuce, Tomato, Salsa, Sour Cream, Guacamole, Beans, or whatever you like
Start with the sauce. Directions ~
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the onion, oregano, chili powder, basil, ground black pepper, salt, cumin, parsley, salsa and tomato sauce.
- Mix together and then stir in the water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Now Preheat Oven to 350.
Brown the ground turkey.
Scoop a portion of ground turkey into each shell and a little cheese if you please. Roll up like an enchilada. Place in a 9×12 pan.
Pour sauce on top if you made the normal version and sprinkle the amount of cheese your family needs on top to cover.
Bake for 20-30 minutes until cheese is melted and they look done.
Actually I think it was everything combined – the homemade sauce, the flavored shells, the seasoned ground turkey, and lots of melted cheese. O’Bear couldn’t have had a better dinner and even Hubby was impressed with Mexican night!
We had tons of leftover sauce which I’m freezing for the next time and a little meat which will go great with my Yummy Egg Tacos in the morning!
Have you made Ground Turkey Enchiladas before? Do you love Mexican like we do?