Healthy snacks are all we have in this house. Sometimes I have to get a little creative so I don’t have to hear complaints about why we have to eat fruits and veggies again.
Here are 5 tips and tricks I do to make eating healthy Easy and FuN!
1) Get the kids involved to be creative. I learned this from my own mom who was always making fun fruit treats and surprising us at the dinner table or in our school lunches. The sun on the left is her creation. (she made reindeers with pears too!) They are very simple as you can see ~ let them play with their food!
2) Choose foods they like, but let them explore new ones too. Of course I want them to be happy and eat their favorites. I always ask before I go to the grocery what they would like from the store this week for snacks. At the same time I want them to eat MORE ~ especially those veggies! They have done very very well at trying new things and I am proud.
3) Be colorful. I buy orange, yellow, red peppers. Green spinach. Red & Green apples. Purple grapes. a Variety! I know they are getting more nutrients this way, but to them the food looks more appealing. Or as my mom used to say, a prettier plate.
4) Cut up fruits/veggies when I get home to store in the fridge. This method as made a HUGE difference in our house. When the boys are hungry they can reach into the fridge themselves and grab what they want. It also makes it faster for me at mealtime when I can pull out what I’ll be using for that meal.
You can also cut into shapes ~ use your cookie cutters on those melons!
5) Dips! oh the love of dips! Hummus has become a staple. Each week try a different flavor ~ there are so many ones to love. Why do my boys eat peppers now? yes, dips make it yummier!
Can’t wait to hear your creative kid snack ideas to add to my list!
As a member of Clever Girls Collective, I was selected to participate in the Healthy Habits program sponsored by Kimberly-Clark and Colgate-Palmolive. The content and opinions expressed here are all my own. #healthyhabits #cgc