Happy 1st Birthday Duke!
We know that Duke is a german shepherd because we bought him from his mom. We think he is also a siberian husky because his mom found a neighbor dog to play with. Plus, he has many traits of the husky including the blue eyes. The vet told us if we wanted to be sure we could run a DNA test. Not only would we find out his mix for sure, but many other benefits would be included.
Benefits of DNA testing your dog include:
- MDR1 mutation testing for drug sensitivity.
- The ability to develop a training program that works with their natural instincts (breeds) and a better understanding their behavior characteristics.
- Developing a nutrition plan for breed-specific needs and/or achieving/maintaining healthy weight.
- Assists in determining what the adult size of your dog might be.
- Understanding the breeds within your dog, in order to lookout for any breed-specific health concerns or common issues.
Before this post I never really thought about DNA testing for health reasons, but it totally makes sense!
Mars Veterinary, the industry leader in canine genetic testing, is launching their next evolution of the canine DNA test—Wisdom Panel® 3.0— and is not only expanding the breed screening coverage, but the medical applications as well with the new MDR1 Genetic Mutation screening.
Have you heard MDR1? It’s a genetic mutation found in some herding and sighthound breeds, as well as many mixed-breed dogs. The MDR1 gene is responsible for production of a protein called P-glycoprotein and the dogs that carry it may have severe adverse reactions to some common drugs. It would be nice to know if your dog was a carrier.
What is great is that Wisdom Panel® 3.0 can be done right from home! You send for a kit for a discounted price of $49.99 and rub two swabs between the gum and cheek for 15 seconds. This collects the skin cells needed for the DNA extraction. Mail it in and approximately 2-3 weeks later you should have your results!
If you are in the Scottsale, AZ area on December 5th, you can get your Wisdoem Panel 3.0 done at the Holiday Pet Festival.
DNA Testing is a smart move to keep your dog healthy. We want them to live a long time!
Check out Wisdom Panel® 3.0 Canine DNA testing and grab your kit today.
Have you thought about finding out your pet’s DNA?
This post is sponsored by Mars Veterinary Wisdom Panel 3.0. All opinions my own.