A large shipment of K’NEX arrived at our house. My boys are happy with their new building sets, but at the same time understand that they have their work cut out for them!
My nine year old gets daunted when he starts to open building sets and sees all of the little pieces.
My eleven year old is the opposite and gets giddy with excitement at the challenge ahead of him.
This week will came up with some ‘Rules’ as we went along. It really helped the boys and their different personalities out.
1. Find a large space that they can spread out and work. It would be nice to be an area they didn’t have to pick up right away. We use our table. Not a great choice since this is where we eat our meals.
2. Lay out the instructions close by so they can easily glance at their next step while working. K’NEX Building Sets: Extreme Sports has TEN different layouts you can make ~ hang glider, jet skier, sky diver, sport bike rider and more. Follow along then make another!
3. This is our best tip! Sort all the like-pieces together first. Building goes much more smoothly when you don’t have to hunt for each piece. The Super Mario 3D Land Prongo Set has 208 big and small blocks, rods, and pipes. Make Mario jump once you have this multi-story game set built.
4. Be sure to check out the age levels on the box. Sometimes O’Bear wants to do the hard ones because they look cool, but really it leads to more frustration than anything. Stick with the right level. He likes the Angry Birds Space: Red Planet “Hogs on Mars” because you can be creative and build how you want, combining other Angry Bird sets too.
5. Team work really works! The boys will take turns doing a step or two. At the end they are both proud of their accomplishment that they BOTH built! This PAC-MAN and the Ghostly Adventures: Maze Assortment is a good one because you can buy each section separately. Build one at a time and piece them together to play.
6. Let the kids know it is okay to ask for help. Not every piece will go in exactly the way it should. Or the instructions won’t make sense. I am always nearby in case they need a quick fix. P’Diddy loves his Lincoln Logs: Redfield Ranch, but will yell for me when it is getting tricky.
7. Recycle all the packaging. Love how each little wrapping, even the plastics, all have the recycle icon!
And the Last Tip ~ Be Sure to Have Fun! 🙂
WIN the K’NEX Super Mario 3D Land Prongo Building Set! (ARV $40)
The Amazon links are affiliate. If you use them you’re helping to support this blog. Thank you for that!
I am part of K’NEX Brand Ambassador program and all opinions are my own. This giveaway will end on August 23, 2013 at midnight EST. Winners will be drawn via rafflecopter. Once a winner is drawn I will contact them and they will have 48 hours to reply before I draw a new winner. Giveaway is open to anyone in US and Canada and you must be 18 years of age or older. Giveaway not affiliated with Facebook & I release them of liability. Winner will be posted in the rafflecopter widget.