I have fond memories of popcorn balls. My grandma always had the best stuff and Halloween was no different. She gave out colored popcorn balls to every kid that came to her house. She was the hit of the neighborhood and would be proud of my pumpkin popcorn balls!
When the room mom in my son’s class asked for someone to make popcorn balls for their party, those years of eating them with my grandma came back to me and I thought hey, I want a memory for my kids. So we went on an adventure this afternoon…
I found the cutest recipe at allrecipes.com for Pumpkin Popcorn Balls and I thought perfect!
Pumpkin Popcorn Balls
When one child found out I was making these for his brother he asked if he could have them too. Of course! What a nice mom I am. I ended up making three batches!
I made about 20 pumpkins out of one batch.
- 10c popped popcorn
- 1c candy corn
- 1c chopped salted peanuts, optional
- 1c butter
- 6c mini marshmellows
- yellow and red food coloring to make orange
- licorice for stems
- Grease a muffin pan and set aside. Place popcorn, candy corn and peanuts into a large bowl and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in marshmallows, red food coloring and yellow food coloring, adjusting color if needed to get a nice shade of orange. When the marshmallows are completely melted, pour over the popcorn and stir to evenly distribute the candy, nuts and marshmallow.
- Use a greased spoon to fill the muffin cups. Insert a piece of licorice to act as the stem, and mold the popcorn around it. Let stand until firm, 10 to 15 minutes, and then pull the pumpkins out by their stems and admire your pumpkin patch!
Have FuN! You now have a pumpkin patch!
Have you made popcorn balls before?