Did you know not to use olive oil when cooking with hot temperatures? It’s a healthy oil to eat when you use it cold – like in salads or sauces, but when you are frying on the stove, use coconut oil!
For your reference ~ All types of olive oil (including extra virgin) contain a large amount of monounsaturated fat. In fact, 70-80% of the total fat found in olive oil is monounsaturated. This monounsaturated fat comes from the monounsaturated fatty acid (MUFA) called oleic acid. Oleic acid found in olive oil has been the subject of expanding research interest when it comes to insulin resistance, cancer, and cardiovascular disease.
Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid and is a proven antiviral and immune system builder. Most importantly, it is safe to use in hot temps!
However, most commercial coconut oils are refined, bleached, deodorized and contain chemicals used in processing.
Looks for awesome brands you can buy. They are out there! Look for certified organic, no GMO ingredients, bleaching, deodorizing, refining or hydrogenation. One company also uses fresh coconuts (not “copra” or dried coconuts like most oils) that come from a rural region of the Philippines untainted by urban pollution.
What can you use coconut oil for besides frying? There are actually TONS of ideas! Hundreds really. Here are 10 more to get you started.
1. Use in recipes. It’s a great substitute for shortening, butter, margarine, and vegetable oil. Trade measurements evenly.
2. Coffee creamer. Yep you heard me. Try it this way.
3. Diaper ointment. What I used when I had nothing left on baby’s red bum.
4. Toothpaste. I have a friend who makes her own from this recipe.
5. A hair conditioner. Put on dry hair and leave for a bit then rinse.
6. Spread on as a natural deodorant. Hmmmm.
7. Insect repellent. Mix with some essential oils to smell nicely.
8. Use in skincare. Lotions, moisturizers, even spread on your lips! Here is a DIY Sugar Scrub.
9. Weight loss. What? Yep! Try it straight out of the jar or freeze small pieces to swallow.
10. Add to your smoothies. It will give you an energy burst!
Did you know you could use coconut oil for all of this? This is just a tip of what you can do!